Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Bear's Birthday





 So this poor boy got sick on his birthday.  Which meant he missed his very first 11 year old scout overnight camp-out as it was on his birthday also.  Talk about a disappointed kid.  Thankfully he felt better the next day. I can't believe he is 11 and is starting the countdown to young mens. . .

 We had his family birthday party on Sunday as we thought he wouldn't be home on his birthday.  He decided he wanted a chocolate malt cake that we found here Megan made the cake for me (she is an amazing baker) and I made the frosting and ganache.   I frosted the cake and ganached it and Megan decorated it.  Couple of hints- freeze the cakes before you assemble, so much easier to cut and frost.  Also make maybe half the ganache recipe- I put way to much on the cake and still had about half of the ganache left.  Wait until the ganache has started to cool a little before pouring it on the cake also.  The cake is really rich but really yummy.  Just be sure to have some milk handy when you eat it!  Below are some pictures of the steps we used making the cake (minus the actual baking the night before as I was busy cleaning and assembling a bookshelf while she baked the cake)







No comments: