So school starts for these two cuties Tuesday. I figured I would take this last week while the girls were in school to do something fun with them. It got pushed to Friday due to sick kids and other responsibilities. Our area does these things called cultural passes that you can check out from the library. It gets you free admission to various museums and gardens and a zoo. The boys choose the Arizona Science center.
Of course the first thing they had to do was get a drink!
We started out on the third floor in the area devoted to basically forces on earth. This is their favorite section. We spent over an hour just on this floor. (and we have been here many times- it is not new to them!)
This one shows the effect of movement and air pressure on air. The one below has a fan on sand to show how wind can move particles around to shape our earth.
The Forces of Nature show. We saw it basically four times. There is a platform you stand on and watch a video about the forces of nature. You experience wind, rain and heat- sometimes all three at the same time. It is very cool.
He read all the signs on this floor. Bear is very fascinated by how the earth works. He also kept telling me other things he knew that he learned at school. Being a learning geek, specifically earth science geek (conservation bio major), he comes by it naturally. I drive my family nuts because I always want to read all the signs!!
This was about the grand canyon- a mix of video and a topographical map you could touch.
The other favorite hands on display- water erosion! Sand and water and your hands. Any boys dream come true!!!
Okay how to explain this one when I am not entirely sure myself. Best I could figure out was that he was swooping around and falling and such while watching the forces of nature presentation pretending that he was being blown about by the wind and water. I have to admit it had me cracking up!!!! Such a 9 year old boy thing to do.
Air pressure demo- very cool.
Technology/ computer area. They have a techie dad- cool but not super impressive apparently because we didn't stay long! Above is a screen where you stand between a screen and a projection and a computer program "reads" your shadow and has the falling objects on screen react to your shadow.
This is the -oh physics I guess- area of the museum. Lots of cool gadgets to interact with. The nail bed is always cool. And it gave me a chance to explain how it works. I love it when they get excited to learn things! I love learning!
Another obsession. Maybe for Christmas I can put up a metal sheet in their room and a bunch of pipes on magnets and keep them out of my hair over Christmas break. Hmmm. . . . . .
learning about how where you attach and pull from makes a difference
He wanted to know why one went faster than the other. I made him read about it instead of telling him. That way he learns how to find out the info himself. It worked. He started reading before asking questions- still had questions, it was fun to help explain.
Eyeball dissection demo- wild child got to get the cow's eyeball out. Cool stuff.
My silly boys while waiting for the planetarium show to start. The only time the whole day I used the flash- even with my awesome camera it was too dark in there to be able to get away without a flash.
We saw a show on our solar system. I was surprised how many answers wild child knew. Come to find out he actually read and remembered all the info in his cool Space book his cousin gave him for Christmas.

We had such a good time. The only sad part was when Bear realized that he forgot to use his camera that he brought. I promised I would order copies for him of all the pictures I took. Although he was disappointed I didn't take any pictures of the brain section. Oh well. Maybe next time!

































No comments:
Post a Comment