Last three day weekend (yes the one in January :) ) we decided to go find some snow. Of course after being nice and abnormally cold for a while it decided to warm up nice and toasty that weekend. No matter we figured we would go and take what we could get. It was a free National Parks three day weekend so we decided to head up that Monday and visit Sunset Crater. I was worried the kids would think it was boring but I grew up doing that kind of stuff and I love it so we went. And to my pleasant surprise they loved it. We were one kid short as our oldest was spending the holiday with her grandma. We missed her. So whenever we go on a family outing I always have the internal debate as to which camera to bring. I am not a big fan of the point and shoot. Mostly because I know the pics I would get from my SLR will be so much better (some people can rock a point and shoot, I am not one of them, lol!) And I knew with snow the lighting would be tricky. But I also know that if I take my good camera I have a tendency to take way to many pictures and get lost in that and not my family. So I made the conscious decision to leave the big camera at home and take the point and shoot. I had fun with the kids and while when I pulled the pictures off the camera I cringed a little wishing I had the slr, I don't regret my decision because I was there and present with my family creating memories and am glad. So enjoy my pics of our outing and remember they are memories and not works of art :) I of course took to many anyways :)
First stop- Sunset Crater visitor center. They loved learning all about the different kind of volcanoes and comparing this one to Mt St Helen's that they visited a few years ago.
The top of a cinder cone. It was steep climb but worth it in the end.
first snowball fight of the day!
Sunset Crater trail. You don't get to hike to the top but their is a trail around the base with a guide that teaches you about all of the different features and the area and its history. I of course read each part to the kids. They all listened and liked it but Bear loved it! I was so glad I wasn't the only one who did. I love learning!
They were fascinated by this little cave. We learned how they form with lava tubes etc. . .
After Sunset Crater we went to this fantastic Mexican place for lunch in Flagstaff on Route 66 called Salsa Brava. It was Yummy!!! Salsa bar and fantastic food. We will definitely eat there again. Big hit with my family. The jr sized Navajo taco was huge! After lunch we found a park on the outskirts of town and played in the snow. Some of it (like below) was a big mud pit) but it had plenty of areas with nice snow also. We played for over an hour and hot chocolate and then headed back home in time to pick up our oldest. It was a great day!
(a snowball just exploded by him)
Its not a snow trip without snow angels!
1 comment:
Looks like fun, we did stuff like that growing up too. However, I do have to laugh at the lack of said white stuff...but honestly after the winter we've had that amount of snow is probably best!
Post a Comment