Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Grandma's House

My Grandma turns 90 next month. So for her birthday I want to put together a book of memories of her house. I have had this idea since last summer and took some pictures to go with it. Some only turned out so so but they are better than nothing. So I am calling out to any of you that have memories of Grandma's house to share. Please email me your memories. If you don't have my email address call me or a relative you know who would have it. The pictures are all listed below along with some ideas. Also if you have any pictures that might work let me know too. I forgot to get a picture of Grandma's basement kitchen, the red couch, and the walk in pantry. Oh and the front of the house, although I think I have one from a few years ago that would work. Also please pass this along, I don' t have every one's addresses.
The back porch. Before they covered the back patio, my cousins and I used to tie a rope to a bucket and move things from the porch to the patio and back by bucket. It was fun!
Game after game were played on these stairs. I even remember, however vaguely before they were put in.
The porch and bench were we would drop the bucket to. And who didn't love the wood pile :)
Grandpa's fishing boat. He loved it. We loved to play back in the "jungle" by it!
This reminds me of all the picnics we had and Grandpa's homemade ice cream. And Grandma's beach towel tablecloths.
Dried apricots, apricot jam, bottled apricots, apricot juice, need I say more?
There is nothing better than homemade grape juice. Mixed with whatever juice Grandma had on hand of course! And that back fence covered in grape vines is always so pretty.

Apple trees and the other end of the path that starts by the fishing boat. Hide and seek and exploring.

Way to young apples that we would eat anyways and make our tummies hurt. Homemade pink applesauce. YUM!
We would always run down this as fast as our legs would carry us!

This used to have fake grapes in it. Yes you heard right! And it lights up! It was the coolest nightlight when we stayed at Grandma's.

I don't know why but I have always loved her soup tureen. I am not sure if I have ever seen it used but it is so pretty. And her china hutch with her collection of dishes. She even displayed the commemorative plate from a museum exhibit that I gave her- and I got it for free because the information on it is wrong. Now that is LOVE.
I LOVE that fridge. I have never seen in person anything like it. EVER. Isn't it cool? And yes it is pink!
My kids all know where Grandma keeps her snacks. In her dishwasher! And is it ever stocked when we come. My kids are so spoiled!
I can't begin to describe the yummy food that has come out of this oven.
Who didn't climb up the wrong side of these stairs? And try to get to the top before your mom or Grandma noticed?


The play kitchen. With all the little toys and the cool 50's chairs and table kid sized (oh I forgot to photograph that too!) Right by the under stairs closet where all the toys are stored. We loved the long green snake!
Pink bathroom. The sink is so low that we loved it as a kid. We could all reach it! From what I understand it isn't around anymore.
The green room, It has green carpet and when I was a kid I believe it had a green blanket. It is where I stayed if I wasn't on the red couch. Grandma would always apologize for how hot it was and I would get cold at night. There is a light in the closet that we would use as a night light. This room is Grandma's missionary picture room.
For some reason as a kid this picture scared me. But I loved the white room as we called it. It was always so pretty.


So once again please pass along some memories and even a picture or two! Thanks!

3 comments:

Audra said...

What neat memories! Love the pictures. You already saw Travis' grandma. My grandma grew up on a farm in Idaho and I remember her house being the best to go visit. So much land and food to harvest. Every year we went it was time to eat peas right off the vine (it is still the only yummy pea in my opinion) and raspberries. YUMMY!

Thanks for reminding me of my Grandma's house. Great blog.

Trevlyn said...

What beautiful pictures and memories! I feel like I just took a much needed vacation!

Harmony said...

Did you get any responses from cousins, family members? I tried to encourage Jeff, but sometimes that backfires. :-)