We had stake conference Sunday. It was a broadcast to the whole state. Two things stand out to me the most from it. One was all the stories they told about Arizona. That was neat. The second one was the challenge to talk about the difference between being active in the church and being consecrated. It really got me thinking. To me being active is being there. Being a warm body and doing. It to me is more about actions than anything else. Being consecrated to me is not about doing more necessarily but about my heart. Why am I at church? If it is because it is where I should be or what is expected or just habit then I am simply active. If I am there because I love the Lord and want to worship and serve Him than my heart is consecrated in that thing. Visiting teaching while being active is about doing it, getting the numbers etc. VT with a consecrated heart is seeing the real needs of my sisters and trying to meet them. It is about love and not the end of the month. I may not be there any more but I will be there better if that makes sense. Serving in my calling when active is doing what needs to be done. Serving with a consecrated heart is doing what the Lord needs done. Being active and being consecrated. It amazes me how varied in my membership is my state with these things. In some areas I am just active and in others I am at least getting to a consecrated heart. Getting there in some ways may mean doing more but in others maybe doing less as I see where my effort needs to be to truly serve Him.
So those are my random thoughts. So much still to ponder. Any thoughts?
2 comments:
Thanks for posting this. There is a difference. Sometimes I feel good about just going but that really isn't going to get me where I need to be!
That is what I have always called being inactively active. I check the site and love reading it too.
Spense
Post a Comment