Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Internal debate- bad mom or normal mom?

I feel guilty- I am excited school starts next week. Like really excited.

  I will miss the hugs and the doing things together (and all the treats the kids made over the summer- although my thighs won't) and the clean house (my house has been cleaner over the summer than it was during the school year amazingly enough). I will miss the friends over and the laughter that comes with that.  I will miss seeing the creative side that comes out when they are bored and need to find something to do.  I will miss the help folding the laundry.  The "guess what mom" 's that fill my days.  I will miss watching my children enjoy each others company. I will miss the lazy evenings with Dad- no running around to twenty activities, just scouts and activity day.

 But I won't miss the "mom he breathed on me" (well stop breathing then) moments or the "I'm bored"  (go clean the bathroom then)moments nor will I miss the fighting  (if I hear one more fight you will all be banned to your room!)moments.  Or the "Do I have to get dressed?" (um well its 1 pm you are still in your jammies and haven't eaten lunch yet- what do you think?) moments. Or the "there is nothing to eat for lunch"  (lets see there is soup, sandwiches, leftovers, quesadillas, or you can starve) moments. I won't miss not having a moment to myself for weeks on end (can't it wait until I am done going to the bathroom?)

I am excited to see them make new friends, to try new things.  I am excited for the new adventures they will have and all the new things they will learn.  I am excited to watch my daughters grow into beautiful young women who are smart and capable and finding their place and way in the world.  I am excited to see my boys start to gain small bits of independence (even if it terrifies me they want to walk to school by themselves and point out the girls did at their age- still not sure how I feel about it Bear fine- wild child?  His sisters could keep him under control better than Bear can).  High school and middle school is terrifying and exciting at the same time (Please let them have a better experience than I did!!! Please)

All these thoughts tumble through my head this week alternating with guilt and excitement (I am a terrible mom, hey look how good my kids are doing moments)

This is normal right?

(lets see how many days, hours and minutes left?- does it count that it is also a countdown to my anniversary- yes my marriage celebration shares the first day of school!)

5 comments:

Deidre said...

People from my Mom's ward call it the real Mother's Day. Seriously.

The McKnights said...

If you are a "bad" mom then I would have to be added to your list. I love my kids but I have come to realize that we all need some time away from each other to really appreciate each other. They need to be apart so they can grow and develop into their own identities.
Sorry, but I think we are as normal as it gets. Good Luck! Maybe we should get together and go out for a back to school lunch. Let me know.

Amber said...

I've been counting down the days since the day school got out :-)

Harmony said...

If you are bad, so am I. If you are normal, so am I!

Melanie said...

It's so true! I feel exactly the same way! The first day of school brings a combination of feelings with it for me too. Miss them, but can't wait for them to go experience new things. Don't miss the fighting (although mine seems much worse with school in), like that my house stays cleaner longer, they stayed in their jammies all day too, complained about food and being board. "we never do anything fun" was the response if I didn't take them swimming, or to the library, or let them play with friends for one whole day! You're definately not the only one. I think for the time in your life, this stage...it's got to be normal! Love ya!
....Hey,why didn't we get together this summer?! We never get to do anything fun! ;0)