Thursday, August 26, 2010
Two beautiful girls
Being a parent is hard work. And for me one of the hardest things is seeing your children struggle with some of the same things you struggled with at their age and even with that experience not knowing how to help them. Neither one of these girls think they are pretty. I can't get over how beautiful, both inside and out, they are. I thought I was so ugly as a kid. Both inside and out. Oh did I ever. I look back and know that wasn't true, but no amount of my parents telling me I was beautiful convinced me otherwise. Both of these girls have struggled to feel like they fit in and make friends at one point or another. I have a feeling all teenage girls feel that way at some time or another and all are convinced they are the only ones feeling that way. I don't know how to help and support them other than listening. And reminding them of their divine worth, how much they mean to me and to their Heavenly Father. And supporting them in pursuing things they are good at, things they enjoy. I want so much to have them have better experiences and memories than I did. I want them to see themselves as they really are- beautiful, kind wonderful daughters of God who are of great worth. I don't want them to struggle the way I sometimes do, even now, with those self doubts and self worth. I pray every day for them. I pray every day that I might me open enough to the Spirit to know what to say when. I pray that I can be an example to them. And I pray that Heavenly Father will fill in the gaps that I leave, that He will make up for my shortcomings as a parent and that my children will find their way and be happy and at peace. Isn't that every parents prayer?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Amen Amy! (I don't have girls, but I relate, because I was one. :-) Don't ever stop trying to get this message through to them. And give them every opportunity to hear it from others too (church, etc.). I was an adult for many years before I finally accepted that who I am is good/beautiful/talented/lovable ENOUGH (most of the time :-)!
It is so hard. My girls are still young enough that they're still relatively innocent, but I remember too freshly all the garbage ahead. Prayer is all I've got.
Post a Comment